Friday, January 13, 2012

The books I brought

I look at the books I brought here, I look at the view, from where I sit at the terasse, I only have to move my eyes a little to switch between the books and the view. Both are points and places where my eyes can rest. I've often wondered why I chose those books and not some others. Most of them I've already read. Collected short stories by Hemingway, Disgrace by Coetzee, The unbereable lightness of being by Kundera, Myths by Johannes V. Jensen, A woman in Berlin by Anonyma, Duras, Hamsun, Blixen, Shakespeare, Roth, Foucault, Zürn, Rilke, Modesty Blaise and others. It's a long way from Denmark to the West Indies to bring books you already read. Sitting here in the windy dark I have no regrets. I realize I've made myself a view apart from the one over the bay full of masts with red lights in the top and that is what makes my home: a place to stay and a place to put my eyes and my mind without being cut off.

No comments:

Post a Comment